If there’s one thing we saw a lot of in 2020, it was controversy. “Controversy” is defined as “arguments” or “fights,” but really it’s something much more serious: It’s a schism between what one person believes to be right and what his or her neighbor believes to be correct, but they disagree about those things, and therefore they have what is “a controversy.”
From politics to religion, from culture to science, controversy rose to new heights in 2020. It pitted brother against brother, friend against man, and the lonely truth-teller against the roaring crowd of a brainwashed populace. Of course, controversies are as old as society itself. As Julius Caesar once proclaimed: “Friends, Roman, countrymen … lend me your ears. Controversy must be defeated or our Republic will fall. Heed my words throughout the Roman Empire.” Will America be strong enough, bold enough, to rebuild after such a year of controversies as we witnessed in 2020? Only time will tell. For now, let us take stock of the controversies that defined this extraordinary year.
Here are the TOP TEN CONTROVERSIES OF 2020:
10. Passionate arguments
9. “I was just making a joke!”
8. Could anything be bigger than these controversies?
7. “Go to hell or I’ll spit in your face!” (Said in a controversial tone)
6. Election controversies
5. Sports controversies, instant reply is required!
4. To err is human … err upon deez nuts (controversies 2020)
3. Differing notions of what is or isn’t appropriate as we analyze high-stakes controversies
2. Who knows what is best, and how do we know if that’s the case?
1. 2 + 2 = 5.9